Self-Assessment Essay

With the passion that I had already obtained for food, this freshman inquiry writing seminar course enlightened my knowledge on food society and history. Food narrative, exploratory, and argumentative essay was just one of the many few writing assignments where I was able to capture the appreciation I had for food. 

Before beginning my writing process, studying the claim was my first aim. This set the purpose of my writing as well as identified the audience. Identifying the audience is essential. It helps address the claim to an audience that would be effective.  This expressed how I would voice and display the main purpose in my writing assignments. The level of education displayed the level of my writing. The education level for the writer of the reader is extremely significant because through the voice of my opinions and thoughts, gaining a clear understanding of the claim helps the reader.

The strategies that was most beneficial when reading, drafting, collaborating, revising and editing was developing a layout. Organizing all my thoughts and ideas was a key strategy throughout it all.  Organizing after identifying the claim of my writing, gathers all ideas and gives me a clear understanding of information that is relevant or irrelevant for my writing. It also lowers the chances of losing the train of thought along with preventing any unnecessary information.

Organizing furthermore, creates the structure of the writing. It establishes a chronological order therefore, making the process of my writing less complicated and smoother. Rhetorical terms and strategies engaged readers with my writing. Rhetorical devices such as sarcasm, imaginary, metaphor and many more made it more intuitive and entertaining. However other strategies such as, transitioning from paragraph to paragraph, revision amongst peers, and consistency prevent my writing from being too broad and vague.

The multiple databases were an efficient tool. Research sources such as academic journal article, magazine and newspaper articles were beneficial. Each database obtained either the same or different perspective that each author was expressing. It narrowed down relevant information from irrelevant information and provided information that strengthen my writing. Research sources educated as well as expanded on the prior knowledge in which I had already obtained.

Through the guidance of my fellow peers as well as the writing center, receiving criticism helped dissect and understand the unclear points in my writing. With the advice that I received through peer editing, I was able to expand on to my writing. I included the views that my readers had, which expanded my writing. Even though, at times the revisions weren’t always positive, getting the feedback made my writing stronger. I was able to fix the confused parts in my writing and add parts in my essay that would spark the reader into reading more. By following the advice of my fellow peers, It prevented me from making the same mistakes in the upcoming essays.

Food narrative was the first essay that was assigned. My target audience was young adults. As a writer, the task of the essay was very amusing. The task was to describe my favorite food. Even though, there was no research sources that were used, the feedback that I received from my fellow peers was overwhelming. Most of the readers mentioned how they could not only taste the food through my writing, but they can also smell the food, which made them crave the food. The strategy that I used the most in my essay was imagery and metaphor, I wanted the reader to have a mental image of certain things that I was describing. Although, I lacked some strategies like the use of strong vocabulary, which would capture and make my essay stand out. Overall, the food narrative essay was one of my favorite essays that I wrote during the semester.

Exploratory essay was the second essay that was assigned. My target audience was for parents. The task was very information, therefore there was a rational amount of database usage. Organization and structure were a beneficial strategy. When gathering all the information for this essay it narrowed down search options such as Wikipedia along with irrelevant information. This essay was mainly to educate the reader on fast food restuarants and the harmful things that is doing to the body. The feedback for this essay included a lot of critique and included a lot of revision that needed to be done. Overall, the exploratory essay taught me a lot about time management and the structure in an essay. 

The critical research analysis essay was the last essay that was assigned. My target audience was as well to parents. The task was an argumentative essay against fast food. Structure, organization, and engaging was the three main strategies that were used for this essay. I wanted to express that children and teens are unaware of what they are consuming when it comes to fast food restaurants. Furthermore, the only people that can prevent children and teens from damaging and affecting their health is their parents. Identifying the audience in the exploratory essay, assisted the beginning steps of my essay. Overall, The critical research analysis essay was one of the more difficult essays but the end result was well worth it.

Throughout this FIQWS course, not only did it continue to spark my interest in food, but it made me a stronger writing. I was able to see my growth as a writer and a reader. It displayed new techniques, strategies, and styles of writing that I will procced to use throughout college.